Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First scratch pizza on the Egg

Options
So I've done a couple pizzas so far.  The first was a Wal-Mart take and bake, second was Papa Murphy's.  Tonight I decided to try my first scratch pizza.  Used a Bobby Flay recipe for the dough.

Raised indirect, 600 dome temp, stone preheated for 20 minutes, 7 minute cook time.  
forgot to take pictures before I cut it up.

Justin in Denton, TX

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @coffeeguydenton‌..Looks good!!! I enjoy making pizza especially since I got my kitchen aide mixer (my dough is much more consistent now). I'm not familiar with Bobby Flay's dough recipe. I use a recipe that I got from a Sicilian cook book. I got it when my SWMBO & I were deployed there many years ago (I have tweaked it for high temp bakes but, quite honestly didn't have to tweak much because the pies we got there were mostly cooked on an open wood fired pizza hearth that was high temp--subtract sugar from recipe and I have also tried egg in mine a couple of times (liked the coloring and texture was nice). Man now that I think about it has been awhile since I've made pizza (gotta do some soon). Again good looking pies!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Pretty simple recipe.  The only thing special was using bread flour instead of all-purpose.  I modified it a bit.

4 cups bread flour
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons olive oil
    7 grams active dry yeast
    1 1/2 cups water at 110 degrees
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (my addition)

1. Add yeast and sugar to water, let sit for 10 minutes.
    2. Combine remaining dry ingredients in bowl of stand mixer with dough blade.
    3. After 10 minutes, add 2 tablespoons olive oil to liquid ingredients.
    4. Add liquid to dry ingredients while beating with dough blade.
    5. Hand knead on a floured surface, adding small amounts of water if cracking or flour if too sticky until a smooth dough ball forms.
    6. Grease a bowl with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place dough ball in bowl.  Let rise for one hour or until ball rises roughly double in size.
    7. Cut in half for 12 to 14 inch pizza.

Recipe said that if you like a chewier crust you can use all-purpose, but I found this to produce a pretty nice chew as described.  I might add some Italian seasoning to the dough next time as well, but the flavor of the dough was great without it.
    Justin in Denton, TX