Caribbean Biotope

blue78vette

Hi all, thanks to AquaKnight I now know that the name for my tank is a "biotope" I figure I am going with a the caribbean as my envoirnment.
This tank has a yellow stingray and 2 damsels only.
1 General Star and ! Chocolate Starfish
about 100 lbs. of live rock
and a 3" deep live sand bed
I need ideas for stocking and I'd really for people to follow my progress like yall do to those really cool people.

sean48183

Looks like a good start except I don't think any of those are from the carribean. I know the blue devil isn't.

blue78vette

the stingray is from the caribbean, the other fish are not my focal points and will probably be taken out, actually the damsels are the only things that lived through the hurricane, lemme check out the star fish

blue78vette

Your Absolutly right the damsels and the star fish are from the indian ocean...i can put the damsels in my reef tank but I will have to go give the starfish back to the fish store if we go ahead with this, any ideas for stocking? or other ideas?

R

regina13

This is a hard one to stock with the stingray. I think there is a site with a list of fish from the Caribbean. I will see what I can find.

blue78vette

ok guys after talk to my LFS (which btw is a great fish store if anyone is in houston they have the best advice anywhere and are very good about not allowing people to buy fish they are not fit for.) the sting ray is from the pacific ocean closer to california and it would be a bit broader to do a pacific biotope.
I really havent gotten much response to this post is it that no one likes me or is this just an odd subject????

auroradrvr

Caribbean/Atlantic Biotopes are very cool IMHO. Cooler than Pacific Biotope, since quite frankly 90% of Saltwater Aquariums could be considered Pacific Biotopes.

culp

Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
Flame Cardinal (Apogon spp.)
French Angelfish (Pomacanthus paru)
Gray (Black) Angelfish (Pomacanthus arcuatus)
Harlequin Bass (Serranus tigrinus)
Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons)
Lantern Bass (Serranus baldwini)
Neon Wrasse (Halichoeres garnoti)
Porcupine Puffer (Diodon holacanthus)
Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Centropyge argi)
Queen Angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris)
Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Spanish Hogfish (Bodianus rufus)
Spiny Box Puffer (Chilomycterus schoepfi)
Sqissguard Basslet (Liopropoma rubre)
Tobacco Basslet (Serranus tabacarius)

kjr_trig

Is Caribbean in or out then
....I would stock it with appropriate Stingray tankmates that you like. Carribean is tough, Sargassum Trigger should be okay with a Ray. Tangs do well with Rays but not many from the Caribbean Acanthurus bahianus, or Caribbean Blue Tang would be a good one.
Like how you did the rocks
Not a huge fan of the fake background, but if you like it thats what matters.

blue78vette

Originally Posted by Culp
http:///forum/post/2976074
Chalk Bass (Serranus tortugarum)
Flame Cardinal (Apogon spp.)
French Angelfish (Pomacanthus paru)
Gray (Black) Angelfish (Pomacanthus arcuatus)
Harlequin Bass (Serranus tigrinus)
Yellowhead Jawfish (Opistognathus aurifrons)
Lantern Bass (Serranus baldwini)
Neon Wrasse (Halichoeres garnoti)
Porcupine Puffer (Diodon holacanthus)
Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish (Centropyge argi)
Queen Angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris)
Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
Spanish Hogfish (Bodianus rufus)
Spiny Box Puffer (Chilomycterus schoepfi)
Sqissguard Basslet (Liopropoma rubre)
Tobacco Basslet (Serranus tabacarius)
of these fish which could I put in this tank?
I can t do any angels with the stingray correct? I have always had good luck with porcupine puffers I wonder if it would nip though

blue78vette

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2976178
Is Caribbean in or out then
....I would stock it with appropriate Stingray tankmates that you like. Carribean is tough, Sargassum Trigger should be okay with a Ray. Tangs do well with Rays but not many from the Caribbean Acanthurus bahianus, or Caribbean Blue Tang would be a good one.
Like how you did the rocks
Not a huge fan of the fake background, but if you like it thats what matters.
I agree with yall caribbean is in and I really love triggers but i always just figured they all would nip, are Sargassum Triggers usally pretty good? I think I'll put that blue tang in. BTW i agree I really hate the background its just been on there forever and im kinda scared to change is lol. thanks on the rocks, i figured it give the stingray alot of room, my stingrays name is
Steve "Crickeys" Stingy Wingy McGee. lol

auroradrvr

1 - Doctorfish - Acanthurus chirurgus
2 - Atlantic Longsnout Butterflyfish
1 - Sargassum Triggerfish
3 - Royal Gramma
1 - Blackcap Basslet
1 - Cherub Angelfish (Nipping shouldn't be a problem)
1 - Yellow Ray

txfishman

Looks good! I am from houston too.If you need anything just let me know. Are you on the south side or north side?

blue78vette

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2978759
what is your favorite lfs?
I didnt know if I could say it on here but I really like aquarium world on 290 and hollister. they are quite expensive but they have an excellent selection and great advice

blue78vette

Originally Posted by txfishman
http:///forum/post/2979494
Looks good! I am from houston too.If you need anything just let me know. Are you on the south side or north side?
im on the west side. and thanks a whole lot, same goes here. I get supplies i.e. pumps and stuff for really good deals alot of times almost nothin so I can return favors