Odessa Barbs , good tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dredgesclone

AC Members
Nov 19, 2008
Milford MI 48381
Odessa barbs rule.
I'm loving these dudes I picked up, think I have 6 males.

Anyways I'm setting them up in their own 40 gal breeder tank.

Was wondering what other small group would be a good match?

I know Odessas like it on the cool temp side. Do they prefer lots of current or areas of both fast and slow? Maybe there's some Asian Danios that would look good with them or something? Or should I just get more Odessas, maybe some females to get the party started? Lol

Any suggestions?

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
If you're planning on a breeder tank may I suggest females? :D

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sol

AC Members
Sep 15, 2013
If you're planning on a breeder tank may I suggest females? :D

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

It's a breeder sized tank but I'm not really trying to breed anything, I guess it might be cool.

They're really gorgeous, not my pic but they look like this:

dang, how did I end up with 2 accounts here?
I'm also Dredgesclone

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
This is a lovely barb. This fish first appeared near Odessa, Ukraine (hence the common name) in the early 1970's and was assumed to be a hybrid of other barb species. The exact scientific species was unknown until it was discovered in its habitat (in northern Myanmar [Burma]) by Ralf Britz in 2003; Britz & Sven Kullander (2008) named the species, Puntius padamya. Very recent studies on the species in this large genus have resulted in many of them being transferred to different genera, and the Odessa is now Pethia padamya. The name of this genus, erected in 2012, is the generic vernacular name for small cyprinid in Sinhala , and the species epithet padamya is Burmese for ruby.

Males are more brightly coloured with orange-red on the flanks and the fin markings are more defined; the flank colouration on females is confined to the caudal peduncle and lightly in the ventral fins, and females are more rounded. I would suggest adding a couple more once you have determined if you have male/female in what ratio, as this fish is even brighter colour and more active with more in the group. The interaction will be fascinating to observe.

You might be short on upper space to have other shoaling fish, and given the very active nature of this barb it should not be combined with sedate fish. But substrate fish would be a good match, as this barb tends to remain mid-water. Some of the smaller loaches would work very well. Botia kubotai or B. striata come to mind, a group of 5-6 of whichever.

To your question on water current, it is best to create a moderate stream effect. A flow from end to end will achieve this, but nothing too drastic.

Byron.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
This is a lovely barb. This fish first appeared near Odessa, Ukraine (hence the common name) in the early 1970's and was assumed to be a hybrid of other barb species. The exact scientific species was unknown until it was discovered in its habitat (in northern Myanmar [Burma]) by Ralf Britz in 2003; Britz & Sven Kullander (2008) named the species, Puntius padamya. Very recent studies on the species in this large genus have resulted in many of them being transferred to different genera, and the Odessa is now Pethia padamya. The name of this genus, erected in 2012, is the generic vernacular name for small cyprinid in Sinhala , and the species epithet padamya is Burmese for ruby.

Males are more brightly coloured with orange-red on the flanks and the fin markings are more defined; the flank colouration on females is confined to the caudal peduncle and lightly in the ventral fins, and females are more rounded. I would suggest adding a couple more once you have determined if you have male/female in what ratio, as this fish is even brighter colour and more active with more in the group. The interaction will be fascinating to observe.

You might be short on upper space to have other shoaling fish, and given the very active nature of this barb it should not be combined with sedate fish. But substrate fish would be a good match, as this barb tends to remain mid-water. Some of the smaller loaches would work very well. Botia kubotai or B. striata come to mind, a group of 5-6 of whichever.

To your question on water current, it is best to create a moderate stream effect. A flow from end to end will achieve this, but nothing too drastic.

Byron.
Word for word what I had typed out! :p

sol

AC Members
Sep 15, 2013
I got 6 male rosy barbs,
I hope that's a good match.

water parameters seem to match

Dredgesclone

AC Members
Nov 19, 2008
Milford MI 48381
The odessa barbs are still in a differn't 40 gal with my congo tetras, they are peaceful there.

These new rosey barbs are in the newest 40 gal by themselves. The tank is still pretty new, but with well established filters, figured I'd wait a couple weeks to add the Odessas, less chance of spikinh water parameters that way

sol

AC Members
Sep 15, 2013

New tank up and running with 6 rosy barbs and 3 true Siamese Algae Eaters

The front canister filter is just there temporary until the new ac110 bacteria load gets established.

Mr. Rosy Barb

Large Marge Female SAE's cave, I think she's spawning in there, either that or it just her house, she's real protective of her home

40 gal breeder.
2 ac110's as filtration
dirt/clay bottom covered by pool filter sand
Plants mostly crypts, small grasses and anubis
6 rosy barbs/ 3 Siamese Algae eaters
temp 70-72
Lighting provided by two 36" t8 aquatic bulbs

Future plan - move my 6 Odessa Barbs in here too
Upgrade to T5 ho light

oh yeah, btw I bit the bullet and bought a real glass lid from petco

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com