• Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!
  • Welcome to Caudata.org, the Newt & Salamander Information Portal.

We are the longest running community for amphibian enthusiasts on the Internet. Our primary goal is the sharing of information on the maintenance and breeding of newts and salamanders in captivity.

Right now you are viewing our community as a guest. This gives you limited access to our forum and resources. For example, your ability to view conversations in our "Advanced Topics" section is restricted, and guests can view but not respond to "for sale" or "want" ads. Join our free community and get full access, post questions, your own photo albums, message other members, and other features. Registration is fast, simple and totally free so please, click the register link today! Problem? Please use the contact link at the bottom of the page.

For care info, Caudata Culture is the site for you. Axolotls? The Axolotl Site is the best on the net.

Marsilea quadrifolia (Four leaf clover plant)

Gingrich

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Oskar
I've been looking at this plant for awhile and I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it in a newt aquarium. I also want to know how hardy it is and if it needs special fertilizers or substrate. It hear it is also low-light which is good. Anyway, I'd appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• Marsilea quadrifolia.jpg
    Marsilea quadrifolia.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 49,034
  • MI999-0.jpg
    MI999-0.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 9,341
Last edited:
On the picture is Glossostigma elatinoides, isn't it?

It looks like in submersed form Marsilea is looking a bit different than in emersed (four-leaved).

Submerse Marsilea growth is much smaller and stiffer than emerse. I haven't tried quadrifolia, but have grown drummondii. It doesn't require anything special to grow, but it is very slow and is easily overtaken by algae. One trick that a few people use is to let it grow emerse in good light first (because it's faster) and then graduall submerge it, removing the emerse leaves when they start going yellow.

it all depends on the species. do a little research and you will find there are a few species available. one thing i find interesting about marsilea (mutica i believe) is it is cold hardy. i once found it growing at 7000 ft in elevation near strawberry arizona. it gets to be subzero temps there. the stuff is growing strong year after year. so it is a good candidate for the caudate viv in my opinion. check out this link. it says tolerant of temps below 15 degrees

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=636

-josh

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back