Innovative Marine Aquariums

Bubble algae on frag

Tom Price

Hi 

I have this candy cane coral frag that has developed to bubble algae polyps on the plug. The algae is not visible anywhere else in my tank. What is the best way to remove this? Or am I better off just ditching the frag as it was inexpensive? I don't want it to spread.

PXL_20201204_132416138.jpg

fishkeepersaltnfresh

You can try removing it gently with your hand. Since this is not yet on any rock, i suggest you do this activity outside the tank. Once you take the algae out, give its base a good scrubbing. Not sure if any of the coral dips help here.

4 minutes ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

You can try removing it gently with your hand. Since this is not yet on any rock, i suggest you do this activity outside the tank. Once you take the algae out, give its base a good scrubbing. Not sure if any of the coral dips help here.

Definitely do it outside the tank since it's just on a plug. You don't really have to be gentle. If they don't just come right off the plug, pop it and deflate the bubble then use a pair of tweezers to grab the deflated bubble and rip it off. I'd suggest having a pair of those 12" long reptile feeding forceps around since they are incredibly handy for all sorts of reefing related stuff.

I think you could also remove the coral from the frag plug and either glue it to rock or a new frag plug. Just to avoid any contaminants from popping the bubble algae (i heard it spreads when you pop it). You could also re-dip your coral before putting it back in the tank, if you think the coral wouldn't get too stressed. 

Thanks for the advice every one. I took the frag out and was able to dislodge the bubble algae with a toothbrush. Scrubbed the plug thoroughly. The candy cane looks a little stressed by it but I think it'll bounce back. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come back.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:57 AM, Tom Price said:

What is the best way to remove this? Or am I better off just ditching the frag as it was inexpensive? I don't want it to spread.

Certainly not worth this level of worry....just a little algae.

11 hours ago, Tom Price said:

I took the frag out

Unnecessary and, as you found the hard way, stressful to the coral.

was able to dislodge the bubble algae with a toothbrush

Best to use your fingers like tweazers to remove it....or use actual tweezers.

Scrubbed the plug thoroughly.

This is a mistake.  Most algae can be encouraged to spread by attacking them with a toothbrush since it causes some damage.  It also causes a LOT MORE damage to the rest of your microbial fauna and flora that were living there, so now it's MORE LIKELY that pest algae will settle there again and grow.

Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't come back.

Luck has little or nothing to do with it – and this is good.  You're in control of the tank even if it doesn't feel like it yet.  👍

How old is this tank and what are your major water parameters like?  (s.g., temp, ca, alk, mg, no3, po4)

• Like 1