A newbee with a nem Stichodactyla haddoni

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Expensive week , expensive weekend, expensive blue carpet Nem, but what a beauty.

Photo291-1.jpg

Just arrived and with a blue light not the best lightin lol.

Photo292-1.jpg

More relaxed

Photo297.jpg

Photo298-1.jpg

Some say you feed this type some say you don't feed this type , any thoughts on that, thanks.

Photo299.jpg

Thats the trick i've learned so far and it worked lol. half an hour like this to an hour and they host it no problem

Photo300.jpg

I had to detach it from the bottom of that glass to put it in the tank last night. i did it very carefully like Mr Saltwater said, massaging the foot and using a credit card , and it worked , she settle down on the sand, later last night and anchored on the right corner backwall facing the Tonga sculptures as well she moved a bit but the real test will be when the light come ON. then she'll choose her FINAL DESTINATION, lol. the fish are awake now and left her but slepped with her all night. I just put the pumps back on this morning. And she's completely relaxed showing her mouth. Is that normal for the clown to leave her like this even if they're hosting her?

Photo277.jpg

jhoffa92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine a sliver side 2 times a week pieces of fresh shimp will also work

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine a sliver side 2 times a week pieces of fresh shimp will also work

Ok how do you proceed thats my question, you put it beside, in the mouth, let the fish bring it to her. I'm told that they're very sensitive and forcing them can hurt them, talking about a carpet not other anemone here this species specifically, i was told by several people, so thats the one you have?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't use silversides --- myself and other experienced anemone keepers have had major issues with their use (( I lost an otherwise healthy H. malu to their use )).

Not surprised that the clowns left the anemone --- forcing them to be hosted isn't something that I would suggest doing, let nature take its course. Plus, there is the huge risk of the clowns being eaten.

Also, what does the underside of the oral disc look like? The mouth and the tentacles are making me lean towards it being a Gig --- but always hard to tell with a new/stressed anemone.

Personally, I haven't fed any of my anemones directly in over a year. With that said, for all the S. haddonis I have kept (( at one point had 5 )), I just place the frozen (( thawed )) krill on the outside part of the oral disc, the anemone did the rest --- with shocking speed.

Last edited:

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Anenome! +1 on what Trex said on not being worried about the Clowns leaving the NME. Let nature take it's course and they will be back when they are ready.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't use silversides --- myself and other experienced anemone keepers have had major issues with their use (( I lost an otherwise healthy H. malu to their use )).

Not surprised that the clowns left the anemone --- forcing them to be hosted isn't something that I would suggest doing, let nature take its course. Plus, there is the huge risk of the clowns being eaten.

Also, what does the underside of the oral disc look like? The mouth and the tentacles are making me lean towards it being a Gig --- but always hard to tell with a new/stressed anemone.

Personally, I haven't fed any of my anemones directly in over a year. With that said, for all the S. haddonis I have kept (( at one point had 5 )), I just place the frozen (( thawed )) krill on the outside part of the oral disc, the anemone did the rest --- with shocking speed.

Beautiful Anenome! +1 on what Trex said on not being worried about the Clowns leaving the NME. Let nature take it's course and they will be back when they are ready.

Well its a trick that i've red from a site pointed out by one raising and who sold me this one. His basement is full of them. The clowns slepped last night with her all night. He told me , they're out and about trying to find food for her as they do in nature. Their job for the protection she provide apparently. She seems to be relaxed this morning a few shots from her point of view.

Photo347-1.jpg

Photo353.jpg

Photo354.jpg

A nice back shot

Photo349-1.jpg

This cucumber is a little too close to the letuce wouldn't you say lol.

Photo351-1.jpg

A field view

Photo352-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do they contract, or retract not sure what term is used here, but do they do that often. Tonight she's all contracted , and small is that normal.

Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have only done it for a reason --- usually me touching it during a water change. Shocking how fast they can fully retract into the sandbed, can happen in about a second.

If it is doing often, with no real reason, I would be concerned. Would suggest looking into Ciprofloxacin treatments.

Regardless of what that person said, it is still a bad idea to force clowns to be hosted --- a huge risk of clowns being eaten, even more so with an S. haddoni; which are known to eat clowns.

OP
OP
basile

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On its death bed or not

Well now mine is sick or dying, or mad a few different opinion are out there me not knowing much about nem, other that its very capricious. well i'm caught between all these observations. So i'm just reporting what i've seen heard and with a few picture you can see for yourself.

Photo437.jpg

Photo438.jpg

Photo440.jpg

So thats what's she look like right now. i have her under a box so the wavebox and the powerhead don't push her around , she's got lots of flow, she's near the glass and rock if she wants to reattach herself.

1520698_240722322762827_1934331083_n-1.jpg

Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look good at all, however, it is fairly common for new Gigs and haddonis.

While it might be too late, the suggestion I made still stands,

Mine have only done it for a reason --- usually me touching it during a water change. Shocking how fast they can fully retract into the sandbed, can happen in about a second.

If it is doing often, with no real reason, I would be concerned. Would suggest looking into Ciprofloxacin treatments.

Regardless of what that person said, it is still a bad idea to force clowns to be hosted --- a huge risk of clowns being eaten, even more so with an S. haddoni; which are known to eat clowns.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree on the Ciprofloxacin treatments...

Also never force a clown into a haddoni or a gigantea.. These are fish eaters.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back