New algae growing in tank

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
723F396C-7C7A-4D67-8EAE-006669461A4E.jpeg

Can anyone identify this algae that has started growing in my tank. doesn't seem like hair algae. The bigger pieces look like thin blades of translucent grass from your lawn. This is a new tank about 4 months old. I have 2 xr30s over the tank Red Sea 425xl.

I started a fuge about 3 weeks ago with chaeto under a kessil h80 fauna led and also have been dosing phytoplankton. Not sure if there is a relationship there? The chaeto is growing well. My margarita snails are eating it a little but not making a dent. Planning on adding an algae blenny since I don’t want it out of control. It’s pretty but don’t want it taking over.

The good news is that the cyano that was on that rock and adjacent piece had been going away. I did a water change and vacuumed the cyano in the sand. I had been blasting the rock with a baster to blow the cyano off the rock.

Thanks!

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
723F396C-7C7A-4D67-8EAE-006669461A4E.jpeg

Can anyone identify this algae that has started growing in my tank. doesn't seem like hair algae. The bigger pieces look like thin blades of translucent grass from your lawn. This is a new tank about 4 months old. I have 2 xr30s over the tank Red Sea 425xl.

I started a fuge about 3 weeks ago with chaeto under a kessil h80 fauna led and also have been dosing phytoplankton. Not sure if there is a relationship there? The chaeto is growing well. My margarita snails are eating it a little but not making a dent. Planning on adding an algae blenny since I don’t want it out of control. It’s pretty but don’t want it taking over.

The good news is that the cyano that was on that rock and adjacent piece had been going away. I did a water change and vacuumed the cyano in the sand. I had been blasting the rock with a baster to blow the cyano off the rock.

Thanks!
That’s hair algae without a doubt. What I would do is get aquatic plant snippers and you can snip the algae short to keep it, it will spread slowly unless your snails eat the new areas forming. But it will soon spread. Try using the algae water stuff at your local pet store! Gl! :)

OP
OP
Philt56

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae water stuff? You mean an algaecide? Wouldn’t that kill chaeto also? I thought hair algae was much denser, finer hairs and darker in color.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae water stuff? You mean an algaecide? Wouldn’t that kill chaeto also? I thought hair algae was much denser, finer hairs and darker in color.
Please don't use agecide and I'm not sure if it's even hair algae. Don't waste money on plant snippers. #reefsquad anyone seen this algae before?

OP
OP
Philt56

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like Green Gracilaria but it isn't branching enough to be what I am most familiar with. Very odd looking stuff!
Not sure about that. Mine looks much more delicate, flat blades vs stringy or wire like

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Philt56

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better closeup. I just noticed with the nice weather that the sunlight in my roof shines directly in that area. Also sea grass sounds like this may be a candidate.

DCC3BF4F-E25B-499D-A967-9B8E38B0893A.jpeg

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s hair algae without a doubt. What I would do is get aquatic plant snippers and you can snip the algae short to keep it, it will spread slowly unless your snails eat the new areas forming. But it will soon spread. Try using the algae water stuff at your local pet store! Gl! :)

Do not do this, if you cut it then it'll just float into your water column and go everywhere, if anything, yank it out and make sure to really pull out the roots too.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 158 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back