Thinking about a Haddoni Carpet Anemone Biotope, suggestions? Like? No like?

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is my idea, I have a 24" long, 18" wide, 12" tall tank all set up and ready to go. It is on a desk and is pretty low so when you stand next to it, it's like looking into a tide pool. I was thinking it would be cool to replicate this:

Stichodactyla-haddoni-orange-dv1.jpg

Just one carpet anemone and a few baby clowns which would be rotated out as they grow.

(Remember this tank has a large footprint so it can accommodate a big anemone)

I have two HOB filters on it now (I know it's not top end filtration but it does work) and a Reef Octopus BH1000 skimmer which is over kill but it removes waste like nobody's business.

I am going to take the existing LR and push it to the back mostly to try to hide the one powerhead which is used to help the skimmer which sits higher than it's supposed to cause it's on a table. (that's another story but it works) And to hide the intakes for the HOB filters.

My main question for now that I can think of is how much flow does a giant carpet need? Right now there is not much flow but I could certainly add some. I read they don't like direct flow so I could figure a way to have flow near the surface since the tank is pretty shallow.

As for lighting, I currently have a supposedly reef capable, very bright Maxspec Mazarra S series but would likely add a second since it is very spotlight like.

So yeah that's the idea. Suggestions?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet nems do not need a lot of flow, in fact, flow bothers them a little. Just had adequate lighting, and change your hob filter media often. It sounds to me like you know what you are doing, and if you have been reefing a few years, you can overlook the 6 month nem rule imo.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddons Carpet

First thing you need to consider is that Haddons Carpets require a Deep Sand Bed. The anemone in the photo above it at least probably all together 2.5 feet wide. At least in the sand is a foot long foot dug down and is 6 - 8 inches across. For these animals to thrive they require this sand bed to dig down into.

Second thing you need to consider is that although Haddons carpets require low flow, they require flow. They are mostly found in low water and sea grass fields. Water in these area moves slower but still moves. The water will need to go over the top of the anemone but not enough to actually move the anemone.

If you are trying to replicate what you see in that picture, then i would suggest waiting 6 months or longer so that your sand bed can build up nutrients to feed the sea grass. Some people add in miracle mud to even further help the grass grow. I would suggest no live rock since its not really need in a tank like this since the anemone prefers sand.

Remember in a setup like this adding fish besides clowns can be risky especially with a haddoni.

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpet nems do not need a lot of flow, in fact, flow bothers them a little. Just had adequate lighting, and change your hob filter media often. It sounds to me like you know what you are doing, and if you have been reefing a few years, you can overlook the 6 month nem rule imo.

Actually this tank has the sand and rock and one HOB filter from an older 10g which was over a year old so there is some "establishment" to it. And glad to hear about the flow because it would be a little difficult to get a ton of flow without disrupting the view.

I'm doing lots of research and I have to start playing with the rock. I welcome all suggestions! Thanks!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing you need to consider is that Haddons Carpets require a Deep Sand Bed. The anemone in the photo above it at least probably all together 2.5 feet wide. At least in the sand is a foot long foot dug down and is 6 - 8 inches across. For these animals to thrive they require this sand bed to dig down into.

Second thing you need to consider is that although Haddons carpets require low flow, they require flow. They are mostly found in low water and sea grass fields. Water in these area moves slower but still moves. The water will need to go over the top of the anemone but not enough to actually move the anemone.

If you are trying to replicate what you see in that picture, then i would suggest waiting 6 months or longer so that your sand bed can build up nutrients to feed the sea grass. Some people add in miracle mud to even further help the grass grow. I would suggest no live rock since its not really need in a tank like this since the anemone prefers sand.

Remember in a setup like this adding fish besides clowns can be risky especially with a haddoni.

Ok so I can add sand and I was only going to have LR in the back to hide the heater and the powerhead which helps my skimmer. I could add flow across the top of the water so it doesn't directly impact the nem.

BTW I always see these anemones in peoples tanks seemingly on next to LR.

BroncosZOA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddons Carpets are a sand dwelling anemone for the most part, in a glass box there is no garuntees. Most of the time they are found just like you see in the picture above.

If you using the rocks to hide stuff then go right ahead but for the anemone the only use it would have is to let the haddons outer disk have something to grab onto.

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddons Carpets are a sand dwelling anemone for the most part, in a glass box there is no garuntees. Most of the time they are found just like you see in the picture above.

If you using the rocks to hide stuff then go right ahead but for the anemone the only use it would have is to let the haddons outer disk have something to grab onto.

Ok sounds good because I want it to be kinda like in that pic. If I could I would remove all the LR but it seems like the best way to hide things in the back since I don't have it sectioned off with a wall or anything.

JSemour

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always though a tank setup like that would be awesome, but I've always stayed away from it.

Unless you are able to sump this system, I personally wouldn't recommend it, regardless of experience. The tank in question is no more than a standard 20 gallon on it's side, that at best will have 15 gallons of water in it. Housing a large, predatory anemone is on par with keeping a lionfish that is sensitive to poor water quality. Before I get flamed for comparing a lion to a carpet, they are both sedentary predators that should be fed 2-3 times weekly with chunky, meaty foods. Added to the fact that the carpet will also throw up excess food and is more sensitive than most corals, water quality will be definitely be an issue. Throw a couple clowns in there and things have just gotten worse. I feel like I can go on and on about why this is a bad idea, sorry :(.

I really would not recommend this without a larger water volume (atleast double) and/or going with GFO, GAC, and biopellets in reactors to help with nutrients. Even with the best situation, large frequent water changes will be required.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping S. haddonis for the last 15+ years, and in all the cases they have been fine with a sandbed of 3 inches +/- (( the longest one I had for about 12 years )). Even though they could have been in an open sand area they all ended up with their foot buried in the sand (( attached to the bottom of the tank )) right as the sand/rock interface.

Can see what I am talking about here,

FTS11_19_10.jpg

Closer to give a better idea.

Red14.jpg

As for flow, for a 75 I used 2 MP10's, at about 75%. It is tricky -- too much will cause them to move. Heck even moving a powerhead an inch can be enough.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is one that i took when i was in fiji, no clownfish around it, but it was about 3' across. It was living in a rubble zone with mild current and about 5' down from the surface
1602631-R1-022-9A.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping S. haddonis for the last 15+ years, and in all the cases they have been fine with a sandbed of 3 inches +/- (( the longest one I had for about 12 years )). Even though they could have been in an open sand area they all ended up with their foot buried in the sand (( attached to the bottom of the tank )) right as the sand/rock interface.

Can see what I am talking about here,

FTS11_19_10.jpg

Closer to give a better idea.

Red14.jpg

As for flow, for a 75 I used 2 MP10's, at about 75%. It is tricky -- too much will cause them to move. Heck even moving a powerhead an inch can be enough.

Looks so cool! See, that's how I usually see them. do you have any trouble with nitrates or or any other parameters? It has been suggested that these things create "too much" waste.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks so cool! See, that's how I usually see them. do you have any trouble with nitrates or or any other parameters? It has been suggested that these things create "too much" waste.

Thanks.

Not really, but they do put out a surprisingly large amount of waste, even when fed very rarely. I had had a 15" inch in a 33 cube and was doing weekly 5 gallon water changes to keep things in check.

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I got the rock all up in the back and some even sticks out of the water and the return from the HOB filters runs down them like in tide pools. I added more sand and now have around 4". I also added a few emerald crabs to take care of some algae. Parameters are all good.

So yesterday I was at the LFS... They may have had a really small neon green carpet there on consignment for a really good price. It may have been really healthy... and I may have got it. Oh and it may be really happy and eating...

I'm watching the parameters and have plenty of water on standby.

wysiwyg

marine predator man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice bongo looks exactly like the one i bought this last weekend mine attached to the bottom of my tank at the base of some live rock hidden from floe i love mine

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back